Configuration & Administration

Expand all | Collapse all

Zenoss 4 vs Zenoss 6 - Differences in architecture / Zenpack compatability etc...

• 1.  Zenoss 4 vs Zenoss 6 - Differences in architecture / Zenpack compatability etc...

Posted 03-28-2019 05:53 AM

Hi,

Some questions about Zenoss 4.2.5 vs Zenoss 6.x

I've been tasked with investigating the work involved in moving from our current Zenoss 4.2.5 to Zenoss 6.x and am struggling to find information on some aspects of it.

This move is partly being prompted by the fact that Zenoss 4 is based on Centos 6.x and the powers that be would like us to move to Centos 7 for various reasons.

On the offchance… Has anyone ever tried getting Zenoss 4 to run ok on Centos 7? Or is this out of the question..

I've got a test 6 box stood up on my local machine using the master ova for playing around with and testing zenpacks.

So far in my experimentation with 6.x I noticed the following underlying components have changed… any others I've not spotted yet?

RRDTool has been replaced by OpenTSDB

mysql has been replaced by mariadb

Is there any sort of nice handy Zenoss document detailing the changes from 4 to 6?

I've got several custom zenpacks that use rrdtool, which now don't install as rrdtool is no longer present, is there any guidance out there of what this has been replaced with (metric façade?) and how to use it?

I've also got some custom portlets in Zenoss 4 and it looks like the portlet system has been rewritten – again is there any guidance as to how to add portlets into the new system?

Any thoughts appreciated.

(Our environments that we monitored are not large really (300 devices or less mostly) and so the forum wisdom I've read would suggest that staying with a stable version of Zenoss 4 would be wise, but unfortunately the Centos 6 issue may mean those making the decisions force a move…)

------------------------------
    Pheripheral

• 2.  RE: Zenoss 4 vs Zenoss 6 - Differences in architecture / Zenpack compatability etc...

Posted 03-28-2019 06:12 AM
    I'm currently going through the same transition.
    However, I'm doing a lot of custom things with zendmd and for that reason, the project was much much harder than expected
    For you, it will probably be much easier

But I must say that I'm running into lots of issues as well (this, this and this). And for that, I advise you to hold off as much as you can
    And you might think of maybe even looking at another tool altogether...

In any case you might want to check out my post from last October: Key questions to consider upgrading from Zenoss 4 to 6

Jad

• 3.  RE: Zenoss 4 vs Zenoss 6 - Differences in architecture / Zenpack compatability etc...

Posted 03-28-2019 11:07 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've browsed around the forum and picked up the general consensus that this is a hard transition and staying with 4.2.5 is often the most sensible path, but the actual decision on whether we move isn't mine unfortunately.

A couple of our ZenPacks are quite niche and plug stright into to various zenoss code calls and currently don't work out of the box with 6 so i'll be going through the pain of trying to fix those should we move.

There is also a decent chance the pain of the move might bring forward ideas of moving to another monitoring tool altogether...

Pheripheral Pheripheral

• 4.  RE: Zenoss 4 vs Zenoss 6 - Differences in architecture / Zenpack compatability etc...

Posted 9 days ago
    I'm in the same situation.. been asked to see how feasible the migration from 4.2.5 to 6.3.2 .  We have been forced to migrate as 4.2.5 have some CVEs and only support RHEL/CentOS 6.x.

Going through the guides. It does seem a heck of the task and a bit complex. Have you or anyone else has done the migration like this successfully with the Community edition?

If someone could share the experience, pros/cons of 6.3.2, that would be helpful to decide if it is worth to do the migration or look for another tool..

Is there any other good open source tool available for snmp trap handling that would be a good alternative to Zenoss?

Thanks

Sam