ZenPacks and JSON API

Expand all | Collapse all

Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

• 1.  Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 10 days ago
    Hello

I'm trying to create ZenPack using this manual https://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenpacks/zenpacks.pdf
    I'm working now with Zenoss 4.2.4 (Python 2.7.2) and manual written based on a stack­built Zenoss Core 2.4.1
    But I thought, that principles stay the same.
    I red all manual, and try to create self. I create ZenPack using GUI. Then configured Device Class, create device, create modeling template. Device class and modeling template export to ZenPack. Files of ZenPack copied from github. Restart zenoss. But still not working. Looking for error in all log, but nothing. What I'm doing wrong?
    May be I need to configure datasources in template. But I need specific processing of SNMP tree.

------------------------------
    Eduard

• 2.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Eduard,
    You need to give us more detail of what you are trying to do here.  What is your new ZenPack trying to monitor?  What data are you trying to get from the modeler?  What performance data are you trying to gather?

Cheers,
    Jane

Jane Curry
    Skills 1st United Kingdom
    jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk

• 3.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Jane,
    New ZenPack is only a copy of considered in your manual. Not even changed. But I can describe features of Ze
    nPack. Zenpack query network controller for list of wifi device around. And for each device get som scalar like noise and strength.
    But now my problem that I can't just run the demo ZenPack from manual.

Eduard

• 4.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 8 days ago
    Which ZenPack from the ZenPack Developers' Guide are you using?

You say "I create ZenPack using GUI. Then configured Device Class, create device, create modeling template. ", so this is a ZenPack with Python code in it, not just stuff you can add from a GUI.

Cheers,
    Jane

Jane Curry

• 5.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 7 days ago
    Yes, ZenPack with Python code in it. Code was copied from here: jcurry/ZenPacks.skills1st.bridge
    What you mean "Which ZenPack from the ZenPack Developers' Guide are you using?
    I used manual https://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/zenpacks/zenpacks.pdf ​and there described only one ZenPack.

Eduard

• 6.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 6 days ago
    Aahhh.  That is a very old paper that i wrote about my very first ZenPack.  If you are looking for ZenPack examples, you would do much better going to the ZenPack Developers' Guide which has lots of sample ZenPacks -  https://github.com/ZenossDevGuide/DevGuide .  That's what i thought you were talking about.

Cheers,
    Jane

Jane Curry

• 7.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 5 days ago
    Thank You!
    Is there manual for development ZenPack in Zenoss v. 4.2.3? Or which version I should use?

Eduard

• 8.  RE: Creating ZenPack. Question from novice

Posted 5 days ago
    The ZenPack Developers' Guide referenced in the previous append, is your best bet.  It was largely written against Zenoss 4.2.5 with some specific comments for Zenoss 5 / 6.  There shouldn't be any huge differences with regard to ZenPacks, between 4.2.5 and 4.2.3.

What you may not have access to is the zenpacklib method of creating ZenPacks - not sure what version of Zenoss supports that.

Cheers,
    Jane

Jane Curry