Configuration & Administration

Expand all | Collapse all

Notification Scheduling

• 1.  Notification Scheduling

Posted 10-28-2020 03:34 PM

Hello All!

I have a question(s) regarding the notification scheduling feature. We make extensive use of the trigger/notification features on a normal basis. However, I was asked to schedule a notification for everyday "except" Mondays from 12am - 8am. I noticed that the scheduling options are not very granular. Is there a way to schedule a notification such as the one I outlined above? I am new to notification scheduling so I apologize in advance if this question is remedial.

Just a bit of background of the Zenoss environment. This is an on-prem Zenoss 6.4.1 system. It is completely virtualized in a vSphere environment. We have 2 delegate systems running Resource Manager and a master running Control Center 1.6.5

Thanks to all for your time!

------------------------------
    Kai H

• 2.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 30 days ago
    Maybe it's not the best solution, however you can still drop or lower the severity of the events within a transform during that period.
    If you still need the events and just want to disable the notification, that's indeed a bit more difficult.

Laurent Hemeryck
    Monitoring Engineer
    FedNot

• 3.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 30 days ago
    Laurent,

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I also thought about that solution. However, I am uncertain as to what a transform would look like with a specific day/time. Would you happen to know the syntax and provide an example? Thanks again....I really appreciate your suggestion.

Kai H

• 4.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Kai

See here, transform based on time.

Arthur

• 5.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 26 days ago
    Arthur,

Thank you very much for the information! This is very helpful!

Just one more question. Does anyone know if this transform can be used for a component instead of a device? We want to suppress alerts for a specific component within a device. I'm thinking that I should be able to use evt.component == "component name": instead of evt.device == "device name": but that is just an assumption. Thanks again Arthur for providing such helpful information.

Kai H

• 6.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Kai

Yep, evt.component should work.
    See here

Arthur

Arthur

• 7.  RE: Notification Scheduling

Posted 26 days ago
    Edited by Michael Rogers 26 days ago
    Kai,

You can set up a notification schedule that repeats weekly, something like this:

For the duration, I did the following:

1 week = 60 minutes x 24 hours/day x 7 days/week = ​10080
    Midnight to 0800 = 8 hours x 60 minutes = 480
    1 week - Midnight to 0800 = 10080 - 480 = 9600

So, the notification "window" will open at 8AM Monday morning and run all week long until the following Monday at midnight.

You could still do a time-based transform to alter the event severity or drop it entirely, but this has the side effect of altering your events.  Using the notification scheduler, your events remain intact for better record keeping and forensics.

I hope this helps!

Michael J. Rogers
    Senior Instructor - Zenoss
    Austin TX